While smoking is one of the prominent reasons for lung cancer, it is not the only agent causing this ailment. Prolonged exposure to contaminated air, passive smoking over an extended period, etc., can also lead you to be a patient with lung cancer.
You must be aware of the reasons that can cause this ailment, along with its symptoms to take timely preventive measures or start treatment procedures. In addition, if you want a financial cushion against the large-ticket treatment expenses, you can get yourself covered under Aditya Birla Health Insurance Policy.
Causes of Lung Cancer for Non-Smokers
Here are some of the reasons which non-smokers can also be a patient with lung cancer:
- Prolonged contact with harmful substances
For environmental or occupational reasons, radioactive gases like Radon and harmful substances like asbestos may go into your lungs. These chemical substances can significantly damage your lungs. An extended exposure can cause cancer.
- Living in a polluted environment
Air pollution is also one of the major causes of lung cancer. If you live in a place where the particulate matters (PM) in the air with a size of 2.5 micrometres go beyond the healthy limit, you can become affected by lung cancer.
Genetics also play a significant role in the development of lung cancer. Therefore, if your family has history of patients affected by lung cancer, you need to seek advice from a healthcare provider to understand how you can prevent it. Apart from this, genetic mutations can also cause lung cancer.
What Symptoms Can Non-Smokers Experience due to Lung Cancer?
Here are some of the symptoms that non-smokers can find if they have lung cancer in its formative stage:
- Upper back and chest pain
- Little shortness of breath
In the developed stage of lung cancer, non-smokers can witness the following symptoms:
- Mucus or blood in cough
- Chronic cough
- Discomfort when swallowing
- Poor appetite
- Weight loss
Treatment of Lung Cancer
Following are some of the treatment procedures for lung cancer:
- Radiation therapy
- Targeted drug therapy
- Radiofrequency ablation
These treatment procedures can be very expensive and can deplete your life savings significantly in a single blow. You can get yourself covered under Aditya Birla Health Insurance Policy to avoid hefty medical expenditures on treatment. Nevertheless, before purchasing it, you need to understand its features clearly.
Features and Benefits of Aditya Birla Health Insurance Policy
Following are the aspects you need to know about this policy:
- High sum insured amount: The policy lets you get a sum insured up to Rs. 2 Crores at a budget-friendly premium.
- Vast chain of network hospitals: The insurer has partnered with more than 8,200 hospitals from where you can get the cashless treatment facility.
- Daily cash: After hospital admission, the insurance company will extend you financial assistance of Rs. 500 for up to 5 days.
- Health returns: You can enjoy financial advantages of up to 30% on the premium amount if you can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Note: You should ideally read the policy brochure to know about the features and benefits properly.
Coverage under Aditya Birla Health Insurance Policy
The following are the inclusions of this health insurance policy:
- Expenses incurred due to hospitalization for a period over 24 hours
- Charges of medical tests, consultation, post-discharge diagnostics
- Vaccination expenses of insured individuals below the age of 18 years
- Expenses incurred in traditional in-patient treatment procedures, including Homoeopathy, Ayurveda, Naturopathy, Yoga, Unani, and Siddha
To conclude, you do not necessarily have to be a smoker to be afflicted with lung cancer. Genetics and the environment where you live can also be reasons for this ailment. The lump sum cost of medical treatment for lung cancer or any other disease can push you into financial distress. You can stay covered under Aditya Birla Health Insurance Policy to get financial immunity against medical expenses.
889 total views, 2 views today