India is in her second phase of Lockdown as the phase one has been extended by the Indian Govt to prevent the spreading of coronavirus outbreak. A data released by Indian Health ministry a few days ago show us how the lockdown and other preventive measures have restricted the affected numbers throughout the country whereas the other developed countries have miserably failed.
People are compelled to stay at home which leads to boredom. To beat this blues, some people are engaging online and participating in several social media challenges. Relatively old and middle aged people are more comfortable with Television and they like to spend times watching their favourite daily serials. During 90’s, Doordarshan produced some of the iconic serials which were enjoyed by all aged people across India and even aboard.
During this crucial time, DoorDarshan has decided to run some of their iconic serials like Ramayana, Mahabharata, Circus and Byomkesh Bakshi. Besides these legends, we want some other serials which also have created similar excitements among the audience.
Classic 90’s Serials During Lockdown
Chandrakanta (1994 – 1996)
- Lead: Shahbaaz Khan, Shikha Swaroop, Pankaj Dheer
- Episodes: 130
- Directed by: Nirja Guleri
- Description: This is the love triangle story of King Shivdatt and princess Chandrakanta and king Virendra Singh. The serial was taken from the novel with the same name. However, due to some controversy, the serial was paused in the midway but resume after Court order.
Dekh Bhai Dekh (1993 – 1994)
- Lead: Shekhar Suman, Navin Nischol, Farida Jalal etc.
- Episodes: 66
- Directed by: Anand Mahendroo
- Description: This was a complete family comedy drama which stir natural laughter in you. The story of Diwan family is indeed super.
- Lead: Uncle Scrooge, Huey, Dewey and Louie
- Episodes: 100
- Directed by: Jymn Magon
- Description: The popular cartoon series was imported from the USA and did very well in India and many other countries. Kids loved the cartoon very much.
Flop Show (1991)
- Lead: Jaspal Bhatti, Vivek Shouk
- Episodes: 10
- Directed by: Jaspal Bhatti
- Description: The only ‘misdirected’ show in Indian history. Jaspal Bhatti shows the issues and problems of middle-class Indians in funny way.
Mr. Yogi (1988)
- Lead: Mohan Gokhale, Pallavi Joshi, Om Puri
- Episodes: 12
- Directed by: Ketan Mehta
- Description: The show which had an NRI American trying to search a well-cultured bride in India. He goes on to see 12 girls each belonging to a different Rashi. Funny yet thought-provoking. This was narrated by Om Puri in his unique style.
Mowgli – The Jungle Book (1989 – 1990)
- Lead: Mowgli, the jungle boy.
- Episodes: 52
- Directed by: Fumio Kurokawa
- Description: The fascinating story of Mowgli, how he become a family member of the wolf herd. The story of his revenge from Sharekhan who killed his parents. Though animated, it stirs emotions among the viewers.
Shrimaan Shrimati (1994)
- Lead: Reema Lagoo, Jatin Kanakia, Rakesh Bedi, Archana Puran Singh
- Episodes: 143
- Directed by: Rajan Waghmare
- Description: Shrimaan Shrimati was built on the premise of “love thy neighbor’s wife”. Keshav Kulkarni (Jatin Kanakia) is married to Kokila (Reema Lagoo). They have a popular film actress Prema Shalini (Archana Puran Singh) and her husband Dilruba (Rakesh Bedi) as their naighbours.
- Lead: Mukesh Khanna
- Episodes: 520
- Directed by: Dinkar Jani
- Description: The first Indian super hero ever telecast in Television. The character was played by Mukesh Khanna, Kids poured unconditional love and engagement to their favourite desi SuperHero.
Have you seen any of these serials when they were originally telecast?
824 total views, 1 views today